Military Studies Minor
This minor enables students to develop a secondary academic experience which may serve them in the future. The minor may also alert potential employers to the student’s attempt to develop a limited expertise in a minor field of study.
The Military Studies minor consists of the courses identified below (Required and Electives), and is open to any student at the University of Maryland.
Student seeking a minor in Military Studies must be approved by the Director of the Air Force ROTC and be advised by instructional personnel in that office. Students pursuing the military studies minor are not required to be a cadet in AFROTC.
Required Courses (12 credits)
All students are required to take the four upper-level Air Science courses.
- ARSC 300: Management and Leadership I (3)
- ARSC 301: Management and Leadership II (3)
- ARSC 400: National Security Forces in Contemporary American Society I (3)
- ARSC 401: National Security Forces in Contemporary American Society II (3)
These courses are the curriculum for the Professional Officer Course (POC) program within the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. However, civilian students may register for these classes.
Elective Courses (6 credits)
In addition to the four required courses, students will also complete two additional courses from those listed here by categories of Global Affairs and Military Affairs. Students will take one course from each category. Courses that are accepted are listed below. Other courses may be substituted with approval of the minor advisor and the Advisory Committee. Students may take more than two of these courses as they complete their CORE and major requirements, but only two from this list may count toward the minor in Military Studies. Students will be advised on the options for seeking BMGT courses.
Affairs (credits and prereq’s in parentheses)
- GVPT 280: Comparative Politics and Government (3) (GVPT 100)
- HIST 224: Modern Military History, 1494 – 1815 (3)
- HIST 225: Modern Military History, 1815 – Present (3)
- HIST 240: Europe in the Twentieth Century (3)
- HIST 266: The United States in World Affairs (3)
- HIST 314: Crisis and Change in the Middle East (3)
- BMGT 360: Human Resource Management (3)
- BMGT 364: Management and Organization Theory (3)
- GVPT 354: Peacebuilding, Post-Conflict Reconstruction, and International Development (3) (Sophomore standing)
- GVPT 360: Introduction to International Negotiations (3)
- SOCY 462: Women in the Military (3)
- SOCY 463: Sociology of Combat (3)
- SOCY 464: Military Sociology (3)
- SOCY 465: The Sociology of War (3)
- Courses completed in one minor may not be used to satisfy the requirements in another minor.
- No more than six of the required credits (or two courses) may be taken at an institution other than the University of Maryland, College Park.
- At least six upper division credits applied to the minor must be taken at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- All courses presented for the Minor must be passed with a grade or “C” or better.
- Course work other than listed in section IIB must be approved by the Air Science advisor.
For more information on the Minor in Military Studies, call 301-314-7643 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.